Does summer travel with the kids send chills
down your spine?
Make the travel as much fun as the destination
and your kids won't even want to leave the car!
Planning ahead is the key. Hold boredom at bay
with these simple ideas:
- A small goodie bag labeled for each day of
the ride. 'Something new' always works wonders!
- Make sure some of the fun is interactive with
you, the parents. After all, time spent with you
is the best reward of all.
- Let your child help with preparing some of their
'vacation toys'. A much-wanted treat that MUST wait
until travel time to enjoy will be greatly desired.
- Plan appropriately. If your child gets carsick
while reading in the car, don't pack a bag of library
- Have plenty of extra batteries for toys and
gadgets that require them.
- Listen to audio tapes or CD's together. Classic
stories and sing-alongs really pass the time.
- Assign a 'little someone' the task of watching
for the right fast food restaurant when it's lunch
or snack time. Their face will be glued to the window!
- Teach a craft or hobby to your kids. Just make
sure the supplies can withstand traveling.
- Swap a few household toys with another traveling
family for fast, frugal fun!
- Crossword puzzles, Trivial Pursuit(TM), and
chatting over a book like 'Guiness Book of World
Records' are all games that can be enjoyed as a
family with a minimum of supplies.
Need more ideas?
has a list of tried-and-true travel games.
Enjoy your summer vacation, but most of all, enjoy
Colleen Langenfeld delivers deals, tips and
creative resources to working moms who want
the most out of their homes, families and
careers at www.paintedgold.com . Sign
up for our fr*ee newsletter and get an
online Creativity Toolkit as our gift to you!
send feedback to: firstname.lastname@example.org.